Sunday, July 10, 2016

Thieves toilet bombs! (updated 7/11/16)

Toilet bombs?? Why would I want to bomb my toilet??  Well....I'm so glad you asked!  My cleaning routine has become so much more fun and easy since I was introduced to these toilet bombs. They are so simple to make, too. It's raining pretty hard outside (yes, in July...but we needed it!), so this is the perfect day for making these.

Now, gather your supplies and let's get going! I like to use silicon molds and I like to find deals, so I have found quite a few at second hand stores for around $1! I find that it's easier to use my big Pyrex measuring bowl, but any bowl will do.

Ingredients:

o   1 1/4 cups baking soda
o   ½ cup citric acid (canning aisle or can be purchased online)
o   10 drops of lemon essential oil
o   Silicone molds

Directions:
1. Put your baking soda and citric acid in your mixing bowl and stir them up.
2. Add your lemon essential oil to the dry ingredients and stir it up. (Smells so good already!!)
3. SLOWLY add the Thieves Household Cleaner, while mixing quickly...so, pour slow with one hand and mix quick with the other. (This is where having a helper can come in handy!! ****see what I did there?? Handy....haha).
4. Your mixture will look like the picture below (more directions below picture):
5. Once you have mixed it all up, put your molds near your bowl and use your spoon to add to the shapes. Usually, I try to be all neat and tidy, but for this, I'm okay with some getting on the counter...I will just add water and clean away!!
6. You want to add to each shape and press down.  These need to be firmly packed in there. Once you have filled them all (this recipe made 12, but can be easily doubled), let them sit for at least 6 hours, overnight, or place in the fridge to quickly harden for a few hours.
7. I leave my molds on the counter so I can occasionally walk by and pack them in (they will start to expand out if there is moisture in the air...and it's raining...and I have the screen door open...).
8. Once they are hardened, pop them out and place in a container (I found this one second hand, isn't it adorable??).  I keep mine on the counter in the bathroom so it acts like a cute little air freshener.

9. When your toilet needs a good cleaning, toss one of your Thieves toilet bombs in and watch it fizz away!  You can use your scrub brush to clean soon after, or, leave in overnight and scrub in the morning.  Leave a comment and let me know how yours work out!

Why Thieves? Here is a portion of the description from Young Living: "This all-purpose cleaner can be used on any surface in your home for dusting, spot cleaning, scrubbing, or any other cleaning need. Wherever you use it, you’ll feel good knowing it’s safe to use around everyone in your family, including pets. Spot test in an inconspicuous area before applying this product to woods, plastics, fabrics, and granite. If staining or damage occurs, discontinue use on the material."
Click here for more information on Thieves Household Cleaner from Young Living.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to mix with the ingredients in order to add more oils, but it turned out great!

      Delete